The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 32 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 32 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy "Banned Books Week"
September 27-October 3, 2020

Top 10

Quote:
  1. [i]George[/i] by Alex Gino
    Reasons: challenged, banned, restricted, and hidden to avoid controversy; for LGBTQIA+ content and a transgender character; because schools and libraries should not “put books in a child’s hand that require discussion”; for sexual references; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint and “traditional family structure”

2. [i]Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out[/i] by Susan Kuklin
    Reasons: challenged for LGBTQIA+ content, for “its effect on any young people who would read it,” and for concerns that it was sexually explicit and biased

3. [i]A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo [/i]by Jill Twiss, illustrated by EG Keller
    Reasons: Challenged and vandalized for LGBTQIA+ content and political viewpoints, for concerns that it is “designed to pollute the morals of its readers,” and for not including a content warning

4. [i]Sex is a Funny Word[/i] by Cory Silverberg, illustrated by Fiona Smyth
    Reasons: Challenged, banned, and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content; for discussing gender identity and sex education; and for concerns that the title and illustrations were “inappropriate” 

5. [i]Prince & Knight [/i]by Daniel Haack, illustrated by Stevie Lewis
    Reasons: Challenged and restricted for featuring a gay marriage and LGBTQIA+ content; for being “a deliberate attempt to indoctrinate young children” with the potential to cause confusion, curiosity, and gender dysphoria; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint

6. [i]I Am Jazz [/i]by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
    Reasons: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content, for a transgender character, and for confronting a topic that is “sensitive, controversial, and politically charged”

7. [i]The Handmaid’s Tale[/i] by Margaret Atwood
    Reasons: Banned and challenged for profanity and for “vulgarity and sexual overtones”

8. [i]Drama[/i] written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
    Reasons: Challenged for LGBTQIA+ content and for concerns that it goes against “family values/morals”

9. [i]Harry Potter series [/i]by J. K. Rowling
    Reasons: Banned and forbidden from discussion for referring to magic and witchcraft, for containing actual curses and spells, and for characters that use “nefarious means” to attain goals

10. [i]And Tango Makes Three [/i]by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson illustrated by Henry Cole
    Reason: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content

Messages In This Thread
Happy "Banned Books Week" - by j.p. - 09-28-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by k.d. - 09-28-2020, 10:27 AM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by j.p. - 09-28-2020, 01:57 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by k.d. - 09-28-2020, 03:44 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by j.p. - 09-28-2020, 04:56 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by k.d. - 09-28-2020, 05:07 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by j.p. - 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by k.d. - 09-28-2020, 05:15 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by j.p. - 09-28-2020, 08:07 PM
RE: Happy "Banned Books Week" - by k.d. - 09-28-2020, 08:34 PM