The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 32 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 32 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy "Banned Books Week"
September 27-October 3, 2020

Top 10

Quote:
  1. [i]George[/i] by Alex Gino
    Reasons: challenged, banned, restricted, and hidden to avoid controversy; for LGBTQIA+ content and a transgender character; because schools and libraries should not “put books in a child’s hand that require discussion”; for sexual references; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint and “traditional family structure”

2. [i]Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out[/i] by Susan Kuklin
    Reasons: challenged for LGBTQIA+ content, for “its effect on any young people who would read it,” and for concerns that it was sexually explicit and biased

3. [i]A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo [/i]by Jill Twiss, illustrated by EG Keller
    Reasons: Challenged and vandalized for LGBTQIA+ content and political viewpoints, for concerns that it is “designed to pollute the morals of its readers,” and for not including a content warning

4. [i]Sex is a Funny Word[/i] by Cory Silverberg, illustrated by Fiona Smyth
    Reasons: Challenged, banned, and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content; for discussing gender identity and sex education; and for concerns that the title and illustrations were “inappropriate” 

5. [i]Prince & Knight [/i]by Daniel Haack, illustrated by Stevie Lewis
    Reasons: Challenged and restricted for featuring a gay marriage and LGBTQIA+ content; for being “a deliberate attempt to indoctrinate young children” with the potential to cause confusion, curiosity, and gender dysphoria; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint

6. [i]I Am Jazz [/i]by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
    Reasons: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content, for a transgender character, and for confronting a topic that is “sensitive, controversial, and politically charged”

7. [i]The Handmaid’s Tale[/i] by Margaret Atwood
    Reasons: Banned and challenged for profanity and for “vulgarity and sexual overtones”

8. [i]Drama[/i] written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
    Reasons: Challenged for LGBTQIA+ content and for concerns that it goes against “family values/morals”

9. [i]Harry Potter series [/i]by J. K. Rowling
    Reasons: Banned and forbidden from discussion for referring to magic and witchcraft, for containing actual curses and spells, and for characters that use “nefarious means” to attain goals

10. [i]And Tango Makes Three [/i]by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson illustrated by Henry Cole
    Reason: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content

Do you see a theme here?

where exactly were these books banned?
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
Challenges and restricted is what they said.

But it is really "Banned Books week"

I only read two of those books. It is interesting that the banners think that rape is sex. The Handmaid's Tale has zero sex in it.

And "Harry Potter" ?? really.

Yes, peaceful Gay folks have always caused great distress to adult banners. Kids are fine with it.
Quote:that the banners think that rape is sex.
You don't think rape involves sex? Really?
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
(09-28-2020, 03:44 PM)k.d. Wrote:
Quote:that the banners think that rape is sex.
You don't think rape involves sex? Really?
no
There is voluntary sex and non-voluntary sex, but both include sex. If you disagree, please tell me your definition of sex.

― Voltaire
If someone kicks you in the balls, is that sex ?
What does that have to do with rape?

― Voltaire
(09-28-2020, 05:15 PM)k.d. Wrote: What does that have to do with rape?
Both violence involving genitalia. Neither being "sex"
Where I come from sexual intercourse is sex.

― Voltaire