The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 32 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 32 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good for Florida
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis ® has taken bold action against Big Tech - announcing several measures to counter widespread censorship of conservatives and promote the free exchange of information.
[Image: im-37868.jpg?itok=SGHflvEF]
As reported by Breitbart's Allum Bokhari, the measures - announced on Tuesday in a 45-minute speech - include mandatory opt-outs on content filters for Floridians, fines, and grants residents the ability to sue over censorship.
More via Breitbart:
  • Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters, a solution to tech censorship first proposed by Breitbart News in 2018.

• A private right of action for Floridian citizens against tech companies that violate this condition.

• Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.

• Daily fines for any tech company “that uses their content and user-related algorithms to suppress or prioritize the access of any content related to a political candidate or cause on the ballot.”

• Greater transparency requirements.

• Disclosure requirements enforced by Florida’s election authorities for tech companies that favor one candidate over another.

• Power for the Florida attorney general to bring cases against tech companies that violate these conditions under the state’s Unfair and Deceptive Practices Act.
"What began as a group of upstart companies from the west coast has since transformed into an industry of monopoly communications platforms that monitor, influence, and control the flow of information in our country and among our citizens, and they do this to an extent hitherto unimaginable," said DeSantis, adding "These platforms have changed from neutral platforms that provided Americans with the freedom to speak to enforcers of preferred narratives. Consequently, these platforms have played an increasingly decisive role in elections, and have negatively impacted Americans who dissent from orthodoxies favored by the Big Tech cartel."
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
Good luck on that
When's your next book burning?
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
This seems like a state mandated "book burning" when the state dictates how private media outlets/platforms must operate. Last I checked people are not required to read/post on anything. And anybody is allowed to start their own social media platform. Let me know if I'm wrong on this.

But my point is that when you start messing with people's social media they get pissed. Especially when it's government. Believe it or not politics is not the main reason people use private social media platforms. From my observations, social media is used mostly for recreational purposes. DeSantis actions certainly has the potential of disruption and/or reduction of services. Don't know if folks would like that.

But our biggest concern should be the precedent the DeSantis' actions might create. Think about that for a minute. Do you want Evers, Cuomo, Biden or Trudeau telling you how you must use social media ?
Seems pretty damn hypocritical from a guy who supports some dumb ass governor who says you have to wear a mask, or can't cheer in your own home while watching a football game.

― Voltaire
(02-03-2021, 10:54 AM)k.d. Wrote: Seems pretty damn hypocritical from a guy who supports some dumb ass governor who says you have to wear a mask, or can't cheer in your own home while watching a football game.

As I asked. Do we want dumbass governors controlling our lives and dictating how private business operate ? 

The answer you give is a resounding YES !

I feel sorry for you for feeling so meek that you allow other people make you wear a mask and tell you how to act in your own living room.
Says the obedient mask wearer.

― Voltaire
(02-03-2021, 11:22 AM)k.d. Wrote: Says the obedient mask wearer.
Rarely wear them. Only at times when I feel particularly respectful for the health of my fellow Americans.

I also understand that gratuitous resistance to mask wearing only prolongs the suffering of small businesses and our economy in general.
The health of your fellow Americans is up to your fellow Americans, not you.

― Voltaire
Nope. People don't give themselves viruses. So they at the mercy of others.