The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 32 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 32 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarthy alive and well in Fla
Miami paper slams new Florida law aimed at college professors: McCarthy recipe for 'paranoia and persecution' - Alternet.org

Quote:On June 22, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law a Republican-sponsored bill that calls for standards of "intellectual diversity" to be enforced on college campuses in the Sunshine State. But the Miami Herald's editorial board, in a scathing editorial published on June 24, emphasizes that the law isn't about promoting free thought at colleges and universities but rather, is an effort to bully and intimidate political viewpoints that DeSantis and his Republican allies in the Florida Legislature disagree with.
"The state government wants to know what political ideologies and beliefs university professors hold, and it's giving the green light for students to secretly record lessons to later use what instructors say against them," the Herald's editorial board explains. "All of that is being done in the name of free speech. Such twisted logic and targeting academia have been hallmarks of anti-democratic regimes. Now, they have also become the MO of Florida Republicans who passed a bill that requires public universities and colleges to survey students, faculty and staff, to ensure 'intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity' on campuses."
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/20...ext/c2/PDF
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
Yup. Government mandated viewpoint diversity. McCarthyism

From a political perspective, I have no problem with DiSantis et al criticizing the politics of public universities. But the central government should not be involved in curriculum nor should they be thought police.

DiSantis can teach a class if he wishes. I'm sure he would be welcomed by the faculty.
My gawd, you are such a dumb ass.
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
(06-25-2021, 10:33 AM)k.d. Wrote: My gawd, you are such a dumb ass.

Just central government control of academia.