The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 32 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 32 errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Can't Say Anything
HARMLESS-SOUNDING PHRASES YOU DIDN’T REALIZE ARE STEEPED IN RACISM
A helpful article in the South Tampa version of annoying-community-networking website patch.com warns us not to use “Common Words That Are Actually Racial, Ethnic Slurs.”
You see, it’s not the usual racist words that we all know—the “N” word, the “J” word, um, “wetback” and “Frog” and all those other horrible words—that cause hurt feelings, declining health, social chaos, and, inevitably, every single freaking time, mass violence leading to genocide.
Next time you’re leading a chant of “hip hip hooray” at a coworker’s birthday party you should know that it’s a bastardization of the term “hep hep,” which was “once shouted by German Anti-Semites” and culminated in the Hep Hep Riots of 1919.
If someone betrays you, don’t dare say that you were “sold down the river,” because black slaves were also sold down the river, and for you to compare yourself to black slaves pretty much means that you’re David Duke.
Oh, you just told the people in the “peanut gallery” to be quiet? Don’t tell me you were unaware that back in the segregation era, rich theater-goers would often eat peanuts and toss the shells down into the cheap seats—the only ones that poor blacks could afford. So when you tell the peanut gallery to be quiet, it’s no different than shouting, “Shut UP, [N-word]!”
Finally, you may think you’re being cordial when you meet up with an old chum and say, “Long time, no see.” Instead, you’re celebrating Manifest Destiny’s genocide of Native Americans, since in a 1901 book, the Injun character greets a paleface by saying “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you.”
At this point, it’s safer never to open your mouth. Just let everyone else yell at you, and we’ll all live happily ever after.

“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
(02-09-2020, 09:28 AM)k.d. Wrote: HARMLESS-SOUNDING PHRASES YOU DIDN’T REALIZE ARE STEEPED IN RACISM

At this point, it’s safer never to open your mouth. Just let everyone else yell at you, and we’ll all live happily ever after.

Yes. However the compulsion to be rude is overwhelming in some.
I'm inclined to be rude to imbeciles that came up with this nonsense.
“If you want to know who rules over you, just look for who you are not allowed to criticize.”

― Voltaire
Just agreeing with you that when we get the urge, it is better not to open our mouths. More so with you since you seem to be struggling with what is appropriate in certain situations.
I'm not gonna get gyped or jewed out of saying what I want no matter what you losers in the peanut gallery say. You people would sell your mother down the river just to be in with the PC crowd and then go Hip Hip Hooray in celebration.

― Voltaire
Then you folks you shouldn't be so sensitive as you conveyed in your first post.

BTW nobody but you and yours care about "peanut gallery" and "hip hip hooray". This offends nobody, regardless of the origin. In fact nobody even says "Hip Hip Hooray in celebration" anymore. Seriously, nobody.
Quote:Then you folks you shouldn't be so sensitive as you conveyed in your first post.
Pointing out idiocracy is not being sensitive, the sensitive ones are those triggered by this nonsense. I guarantee that I will never be triggered by someone saying any of those terms, actually I will applaud them.

Quote:nobody but you and yours care about "peanut gallery" and "hip hip hooray". This offends nobody, regardless of the origin.
Then you might wanna ask yourself why there is this website dedicated to this crap

Common Words That Are Actually Racial, Ethnic Slurs.”

― Voltaire
That fact that we need a website to explain what an ethnic slur is should tell you something.
except 'we' don't need such a website, it's a waste of everything.

― Voltaire